Disconnect from full VPN doesn't work on Linux

Hi,

With the full VPN mode, I can connect just fine, but I can’t disconnect. (Custom item mode doesn’t work at all, but I will open a different topic for that.)

When I connect, it works fine. When I disconnect, there are no errors at all, but checking my connection using the https://myip.mudfish.net/ or by command line, I am still on that same connection. Checking ip route shows many modifications. If I try to connect again to a different node, it will cause a hang, the auto-configuration at the top will stop at 96%. I have sent a screenshot of the diagnosis page. The old connection will stay with the originally-selected node, and the new node won’t be used.

I have sent my logs privately as well to help debug this problem.

I am running Linux with the newest Mudfish, 5.2.7.

Helping to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated, I can do any debugging and assistance that’s necessary. We use Mudfish to help the connection with Slippi netplay for Super Smash Bros. Melee, if anyone searches about Mudfish and Slippi I can say we’ve had a lot of success!

Hi, I would greatly appreciate some help with this.

To help debug, I sent my logs and additional screenshots to the Mudfish support email (I can’t see a way to attach a file here, plus it may contain some private information). I had deleted my old logs, and then done the following procedure:

1. Start Mudfish from command line: sudo /opt/mudfish/5.2.7/bin/mudrun
  2. Click Setup -> Program -> Full VPN and select the “TW Asia (Taiwan - Google 6)” node and click Save
  3. Click Connect
  4. It works, check with https://myip.mudfish.net/
  5. Click Disconnect
  6. It seems to work, but checking back on myip site, it still shows that the VPN is connected. Other checks show something similar.
  7. Click Setup -> Program -> Full VPN and select the “TW Asia (Taiwan - Google)” node and click Save
  8. Click Connect
  9. It shows what I sent in the screenshots, checking with myip site, shows it is still connected to the first VPN
  10. Click Disconnect
  11. Press Ctrl+C in the terminal where I started Mudfish
  12. Once I Ctrl+C, my internet is no longer usable at all. I have to reboot to get my internet connection to work again.

It will be great to use Mudfish for improving the connection with other players on Slippi (fan-made Super Smash Brothers Melee netplay), many users on Windows have had a lot of success. Next once I fix this I may contact you about making a custom item for Slippi, the custom item connection didn’t work with Linux for me.

Thank you very much.

@xthechar Please try to downgrade your version and test it again. :frowning: Recently I found that “Disconnect” button doesn’t work properly with v5.2.7. It looks like that it’s a bug of mudfish.

Please visit http://mudfish.net/releases/ and try to use the previous stable version.

I’ve tried 5.2.5 and 5.2.6 and am facing similar problems, but not exactly the same. If I disconnect, I have no internet. But with 5.2.5 and 5.2.6 at least, I can at least switch nodes or disconnect and then reconnect with a new node. I think each version had a slightly different issue. It is a bit time-consuming to provide an exact diagnosis, but I can do that if it’s helpful. If you can confirm that disconnect works for you with a specific version on linux, it would be useful to hear, so I can try that exact version.

After disconnecting, when I had no internet, I was able to fix it as follows. I executed

routef

and edited /etc/resolv.conf to put back my old DNS server, then I restarted dhcpcd. Somehow the internet settings are not properly reset back when I click “Disconnect” through Mudfish.

In my logs, I had many lines like this:

Fri, 13 Nov 2020 06:52:37 GMT [96.976536] [INFO] Commander said: SIOCADDRT: File exists
Fri, 13 Nov 2020 06:52:37 GMT [96.976716] [INFO] Commander said: CMD !/sbin/route add -net 14.63.185.131 netmask 255.255.255.255 gw 192.168.50.1 R 5668 Status: 0700 Bad exit code: 0700 sig 0 exit 7

Maybe it’s a clue. I couldn’t see any other obvious errors.

Umm… However which linux distribution are you using? For most of cases, I’m testing linux distributioin on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS so not tested for other distributions.

Regarding to SIOCADDRT: File exists I think you can ignore because it means there’s the existing one on the routing table. So it should not be harmful.

I’m using Void Linux. Sometimes the programs are not exactly the same as the ones on Ubuntu. I know that Mudfish is tested with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but if you can help me to make it work on Void Linux, I would really appreciate it.

I would be happy to provide any other information I can give you to help debug the problem. I’m sure there is a way to solve it.

Maybe one way to help is if you can tell me all of the programs that are used by Mudfish that need to be installed in order for Mudfish to work (for example, I see that it’s using /sbin/route). I can check each of these programs to see if there is any difference between how it works on Ubuntu and Void.

@xthechar Frankly speaking I’m not sure we can support Void Linux officially. At this moment only Ubuntu distributions are officially supported. Let me think about it.

As you might guess, mudfish uses net-tools package rather than iproute2 package to support the old-fashioned network tools. So if your distribution is following the latest network tools, there’s a possibility that mudfish doesn’t work properly. :slight_smile: I think if net-tools is available on your distribution, it’ll enough requirements to work.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.