Need Assistance Routing Traffic Through Mudfish VPN on OpenWRT (Proxmox VM)

Hello fellow community members,

Update2:
I’ve followed Internet Connection Sharing with Mudfish · MUDFISH to try FullVPN on a windows VM, then connect my nintendo switch to it using VLAN. The network sharing finally works. However, for Nintendo Switch, the connection type becomes D after the VPN. Which makes it not desirable for games like Splatoon3. So I guess couldn’t use mudfish even if openwrt fullvpn mode works.
Thanks.

Update:
Actually the FullVPN mode is not working even though it says 100% ready to go and there’s a RTT graph showing the data transfer.
When I tried the tool ‘whatismyip’ in mudfish, it shows my original public IP.
May I know if there’s a working package for 22.03 x86-64? (I’ve tried mudfish-pi_2.5.6-1_x86_64.ipk also but the launch page showed 404 nginx not found)
Thank you.

Original message:

I hope this finds you in good spirits. I am seeking some technical assistance to route all my network traffic through the Mudfish VPN on my OpenWRT setup, with a specific focus on the Nintendo Switch.

Setup Details:

• Environment: OpenWRT (version 22.03) installed as a VM on Proxmox.
  • Router Model: Virtualized on Proxmox.
  • Mudfish Version: mudfish-pi_2.1.26-1_x86_64 for OpenWRT.
  • Primary Device: Nintendo Switch.

Current Progress:

1. I’ve successfully set up Mudfish on my OpenWRT VM and it connects without issues.
  2. I attempted the “Full VPN” mode within Mudfish. However, when I designate the OpenWRT router as the gateway for my devices, they lose internet access.
  3. In the firewall zones on OpenWRT, I currently see only the “wan” and “lan” zones. I suspect I need to create a separate “vpn” zone for Mudfish and route the traffic accordingly, but I’m not clear on the exact procedure.
  4. The Nintendo Switch is connected to the OpenWRT network.

Areas Needing Clarification:

1. Detailed steps on setting up a “vpn” firewall zone dedicated to Mudfish on OpenWRT.
  2. Guidance to ensure all traffic, especially from my Nintendo Switch, navigates through the Mudfish VPN.
  3. Any other configurations or adjustments needed to stabilize this setup.

Your expertise and assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been trying to finalize this setup for some time and am eager to get it functioning smoothly. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

If the game you’re playing is working based on P2P (Peer-To-Peer), this is expected because Mudfish nodes doesn’t perform the port forwarding. So your NAT type should be changed to Strict.

For this case, did you check Installation (VM) link too? If you’re trying to install Mudfish on VM, you can install it with OVA template.

Thank you for your support & reply.
Yes, the game needs p2p.
I know the page but haven’t tested the OVA template yet. As I think proxmox doesn’t use .ova by default.

Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.