Ping Spikes only in mudfish

Hi everyone. I have a pretty serious problem with mudfish. It works well most of the time, bringing down my ping by about 7ms in League of Legends, however there is a serious catch. Every 10 minutes or so, there is a massive disconnect/lag spike that occurs, causing my game to freeze for a few seconds before returning to normal. Are there any fixes that anyone is aware of? (connected to NA server)

1 Like

Is there any reason to use Full VPN mode with US East (Chicago - Nodisto) mudfish node? I’m not sure how much you make traffics but if you did it could cause some ping spikes.

It happens regardless of what node I am using. If I use auto select, it still happens. I also don’t know if full vpn mode is working properly. (My ip address changes only when I enter a game, and not while I’m on my desktop.

Umm… No clue at this moment. If you’re familiar with WinMTR, please test against to 104.160.131.3 IP (game server IP of NA) by checking How to use WinMTR link. I need to check it first to know where this issue is from.

I play Overwatch and also have the spikes every 10 mins or so. It happens on the US East (Chicago-Nodiso), US East (Chicago-VIG28), and US Central Lombard, IL (Continuum, LLC) nodes – basically the 3 nodes that directly connect into Blizzard.

When I watch the Mudfish graphs, the spikes correlate with the “Tx Bits” graph dropping to 0 bytes for a few seconds. Then Tx Bits spike up (almost as if it was trying to “catch up” by sending all of the unsent data).

When I watch WinMTR, all of the VPN hops momentarily die coinciding with these spikes. When I turn off Mudfish, my connection is fine. So I definitely think it’s something on Mudfish’s end…

It’s a shame because my latency is also reduced by 5-10ms using Mudfish, but the spikes prevent me from using it competitively.

Fun fact: I actually posted about this issue a few months ago, but Mudfish support basically ignored it. Link to forum thread

Interesting that nobody else is talking about this. If it’s something on musfish’s end, like you said, they should probably fix it. Other than the ping spikes, the program is very excelllent. But it’s unplayable with this.

I did some testing and found that VIG28 doesn’t have this ping spike issue, but nodisto,and continuum LLC do.